We are pleased that you will serve as a presenter at the 2018 Pediatric Hospital Medicine meeting! Below you will find information necessary to prepare for your clinical quick hit, mini-plenary and/or workshop. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Workshop/Mini-Plenary/Clinical Quick Hit Presenters
As a PHM 2018 Faculty, the lead presenter (submitter of content) will receive one (1) complimentary conference registration. This complimentary registration may not be reassigned or transferred to another individual unless that individual becomes the lead author/presenter and the complimentary registration will be awarded to the main author/presenter unless otherwise stated in your confirmation form. APA's office will email lead presenters a link to their complimentary registration (presenters will have to fill out the complimentary registration online form to assure contact information is correct). Co-presenters must register themselves here.).
Abstract & Conundrum Presenters
Abstract and conundrum presenters do not receive complimentary registration. Presenters must register themselves at /register/.
All individuals who received a status notification about their content after the early-bird deadline will be extended the early bird registration rate. Please contact PHM2018@academicpeds.org for more information.
All presenters are required to fill out the (1) session confirmation form, (2) faculty information form and a CME disclosure form. CME forms will be emailed to you directly from the AAP, PHM's CME provider.
Presenters at PHM 2018 are considered attendees and are expected to pay their town travel expenses to and from Atlanta and conference registration fees as noted in the Registration section. Presenters are not required to attend the days they are not speaking.
The standard set up for each presenting room is: laptop, LCD projector, screen power connection for laptop and 2 lavaliere microphones.
Presenter Ready Room
Presenters will have not have access to a presenter-ready room. All presenters will be responsible for bringing a copy of their presentation to their session room on a USB drive.
PowerPoint Presentation Preparation
Faculty members must:
- Submit a copy of their presentation slides for review to the APA office by Monday, May 21. Slides must contain disclosure information as stated below. Please convert your slides to a PDF document before uploading. Slides can be uploaded here. If you have any issues uploading a PDF file, please email the file to PHM2018@academicpeds.org.
List the following statements/information (Options A & B) on the first slide of each of their presentations:
"I have no relevant financial relationships with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) and/or provider(s) of commercial services discussed in this CME activity."
"I have the following financial relationships with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) and/or provider(s) of commercial services discussed in this CME activity:"
Research Support from:
Speakers' Bureau for:
If on a speaker's bureau, the slide must also state:
"It is my obligation to disclose to you (the audience) that I am on the Speakers Bureau for (name of commercial interest). However, I acknowledge that today's activity is certified for CME credit and thus cannot be promotional. I will give a balanced presentation using the best available evidence to support my conclusions and recommendations."
"I do (or) do not intend to discuss an unapproved/investigative use of a commercial product/device in my presentation."
Give a balanced view of therapeutic options. Use of generic names will contribute to this impartiality. If the CME educational material or content includes trade names, then trade names from several companies should be used, not just trade names from a single company.
Disclose off-label (unapproved/investigational) usage of commercial products/devices, and as appropriate, explain at what age off-label usage applies.
Include definitions, especially when abbreviations are used in your slides.
Include complete references on your closing slide(s), and cite source information within your presentation, as appropriate.
Do not include advertisements, order forms, or other ordering information on materials for sale; comply with the AAP Committee on Continuing Medical Education (COCME) Guidelines for Addressing Intellectual Property in AAP CME Activities.
Do not include extensive passages from textbook chapters or journal articles (including AAP); instead, these sources may be listed in your references.
If photos (other than stock photos) are used, they should be non-identifiable, unless patient/parental permission is obtained and a copy of the signed release is submitted to staff with your PowerPoint slides.
If your slides include any published material, you must obtain copyright permission from the publisher. Permission is also required to include content authored by the faculty member, if another party owns the copyright to that material. Copyright-protected works include, but are not limited to:
Print Materials (journal articles, books, brochures, manuals, photos, graphics, artwork, etc.)
Video and Audio Materials (TV/movie clips, music, video recordings, audio recordings)
Electronic Format (software, databases, website pages)
Works are protected by copyright laws in the U.S. even if they are not registered with the U.S. Copyright Office and even if they do not carry the copyright symbol (©). Everything on the
Internet is subject to the same copyright law as works in hard copy. The mere fact that something is displayed on the Internet does not mean it is the public domain or can be freely used.
You must obtain written permission to use any copyright-protected materials in your slides/syllabus materials, and submit a copy of the publisher's permission to AAP with your materials. Your request to the publisher should include the following information:
- Title of the chart, graph, table, figure, or illustration (attach a copy)
- Title and issue of the journal, book, or source (include volume number, month, year)
- Page number(s)
- Number of copies (total number of learners attending the meeting) – For Future of
- Pediatrics, you may indicate "approximately 400."
- Distribution: Material will be distributed free to all learners attending the meeting.
Type of reprint: Electronic syllabus on CD-ROM
Note: It may take up to six weeks to obtain permission from a publisher.
Note: Copyright permission is not needed to use materials for which the copyright has lapsed or to use materials owned by the Federal government. The Federal government permits free usage of its work without payment or permission.
Faculty should be aware that (- In keeping with Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) requirements regarding validation of clinical content):
- All the recommendations involving clinical medicine in a CME activity must be based on evidence that is accepted within the profession of medicine as adequate justification for their indications and contradictions in the care of patients.
- All scientific research referenced, reported, or used in CME in support or justification of a patient care recommendation must conform to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection and analysis.
- Providers are not eligible for ACCME accreditation or reaccreditation if they present activities that promote recommendations, treatment or manners of practicing medicine that are not within the definition of CME; or that are known to have risks or dangers that outweigh the benefits; or that are known to be ineffective in the treatment of patients.